The aged Victorian-Gothic Main Building serviced like the principal point of the campus’s 40-acre (160,000 m2) site, and was applied aimed at almost altogether intends. But by the 1930s, arguments stood up regarding the demand for spic-and-span library expanse, and the Main Building was razed in 1934 over the oppositions of numerous pupils and power. The modern-day cathedral and Main Building remained created within its place.
In 1910, George Washington Brackenridge contributed 500 acres (2.0 km2) on the Colorado River to the University . A ballot by the regents to move the campus to the contributed terra firma was encountered with affront, and the terra firma has solely been applied aimed at accessorial intends such like qualify learner living. Part of the belt was traded in the late-1990s for Babylonian living, and there are argumentative plans to vend the residue of the belt. The Brackenridge Field Laboratory was recognized on 82 acres (330,000 m2) of the terra firma in 1967.
As a effect of the disagreement, in 1921, the legislative assembly allocated $1,350,000 for the acquisition of terra firma abutting to the principal campus. But growth was hampered by the legitimate limitation opposed to financing the building of edifices. With the detection of canvas on university-owned basis in 1923, the establishment was capable to put its spic-and-span assets in the direction of its common Endowment pool. These savings permitted the passing of Amendments to create means for bond concerns in 1931 and 1947, with the last one growth required from the gore in application ensuing World War II. The University assembled 19 enduring constructions amid 1950 and 1965, as it was given the proper of astral domain. With this power, the University bought extra properties circling the first 40 acres (160,000 m2).
During World War II, the University of Texas was one of 131 schools and colleges nationally that took part in the V-12 Navy College Training Program that presented pupils a path to a Navy assignment. UT Austin was inducted in to the American Association of Universities in 1929,