What is involved in Product Data Management
Find out what the related areas are that Product Data Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Product Data Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Product Data Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Product Data Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Product Data Management related domains to cover and 119 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Product Data Management, Change management, Computer-aided design, Configuration management, End-of-life, Engineering change notice, Engineering change order, Enterprise resource planning, Metadata, New product introduction, Product, Product lifecycle management, Version control:
Product Data Management Critical Criteria:
Use past Product Data Management goals and correct Product Data Management management by competencies.
– Which customers cant participate in our Product Data Management domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Identifying what tasks require a particular tool –which tasks associated with the current configuration use a particular tool?
– How to keep the information needed to operate and maintain a product aligned with the changing product over its life cycle?
– Assignment completeness are all parameters assigned and are all elements considered?
– Which system should receive the Change Notification, PMS MIS or PMS CSDB?
– Property availability is the assigned external property available?
– File availability is the assigned external file available?
– Who will need to view documents (sales & production)?
– Version check are the correct versions available?
– What system, if any, provides document numbers?
– What is the configuration of the information?
– How frequently do we need to access the data?
– Are there recognized Product Data Management problems?
– What products do you want me to support?
– What information should we archive?
– How accurate is your product data?
– What is the information context?
– Who provides PDM software?
– Why use it?
Change management Critical Criteria:
Participate in Change management issues and oversee implementation of Change management.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Product Data Management product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– The objective of Change Management is to ensure that standard methods and procedures are used, such that changes can be dealt with quickly, with the lowest possible impact on service quality. all changes should be traceable, in other words, one can answer the question, what changed? Do we do this?
– Troubleshooting – are problems related to what is actually changing (the change), to the management of tasks and resources to make the change happen (project management) or to issues relating to employee engagement, buy-in and resistance (Change Management)?
– Has the team ensured that key cultural barriers (e.g., training and skills required for new jobs, entrenched culture, incompatible support structures, fear of downsizing) are addressed in its Change Management strategy?
– What steps have executives included in the Change Management plan to identify and address customers and stakeholders concerns about the specific process to be reengineered?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Product Data Management process?
– How should projects be phased to allow adequate time for Change Management and organizational acceptance of the selected technologies?
– What are some concrete ways to help executives understand the value of change management?
– Does your organization have a preferred organizational change management methodology?
– What change management practices does your organization employ?
– What is the latest success strategy in change management?
– Who are the leaders in a Change Management process?
– What is the Change Management process?
– What is Change Management?
Computer-aided design Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Computer-aided design planning and find out what it really means.
– what is the best design framework for Product Data Management organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Among the Product Data Management product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Product Data Management leader?
Configuration management Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Configuration management quality and find out.
– Are physical configuration assessments conducted to determine the degree of agreement between the current physical configuration and the configuration depicted in the facility documentation?
– Can we answer questions like: Are all status reports being produced, including the required details, according to the business request?
– Which cloud Service Management process maintains information in the Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Product Data Management with what users do day-to-day?
– Have the types of documents to be included in your CM Program been determined?
– Can we answer questions like: Are the test plan and results available?
– Have you identified programmatic interfaces within your CM Program?
– Have the boundaries for each system and process been established?
– What are good and easy practices for frequent web deployments?
– In which cases can CMDB be usefull in incident management?
– What baselines are required to be defined and managed?
– Have specific documents been identified for each SSC?
– Is impact analysis performed for all change requests?
– Motivation: why software Configuration Management?
– How will changes to the baselines be controlled?
– Do design documents match inventory reports?
– How many reported faults for version y?
– Independent verification complete?
– Why a service desk?
– Who makes changes?
End-of-life Critical Criteria:
Generalize End-of-life leadership and finalize specific methods for End-of-life acceptance.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Product Data Management project?
– Is Product Data Management dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– How do we Improve Product Data Management service perception, and satisfaction?
Engineering change notice Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Engineering change notice engagements and adjust implementation of Engineering change notice.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Product Data Management been identified and analyzed?
– Does our organization need more Product Data Management education?
Engineering change order Critical Criteria:
Adapt Engineering change order engagements and get out your magnifying glass.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Product Data Management workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– To what extent does management recognize Product Data Management as a tool to increase the results?
Enterprise resource planning Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Enterprise resource planning engagements and look at it backwards.
– What are the key elements of your Product Data Management performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Does the Product Data Management task fit the clients priorities?
– How can skill-level changes improve Product Data Management?
Metadata Critical Criteria:
Coach on Metadata decisions and point out improvements in Metadata.
– Who will do the classification (IAs, users, both etc.) Deliverables could be: approach for developing classification, controlled vocabularies, thesaurus, taxonomies, classification models including targeted audience descriptions; will there be any use of autocategorization or autosuggesting metadata?
– Is it necessary only to make the metadata discoverable, with links to the data files, or is deeper support for manipulating the data needed?
– Are the appropriate metadata standards including those for encoding and transmission of metadata information established?
– Describe the type of data (e.g. digital, non-digital) and how they will be generated? Are these primary or metadata?
– What data does the provider collect -e.g., metadata, and how can this data be secured?
– What data do our providers collect -e.g., metadata, and how can this data be secured?
– What metadata are needed to make the data you capture or collect meaningful?
– Which metadata standard will be used or will a local schema be created?
– What is the Quality of the Result if the Quality of the Data/Metadata is poor?
– Who is responsible for creating the metadata?
– Metadata; is there a metadata strategy?
– Which metadata standards will you use?
– Is the metadata cache size acceptable?
– What metadata standard will be used?
– What form will the metadata take?
– Are there Product Data Management Models?
– How/who will create metadata?
– Can metadata be loaded?
New product introduction Critical Criteria:
Grasp New product introduction tactics and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive New product introduction decisions.
– How important is Product Data Management to the user organizations mission?
– Have all basic functions of Product Data Management been defined?
– How to deal with Product Data Management Changes?
Product Critical Criteria:
Explore Product decisions and slay a dragon.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Identify a product that has been successfully modified to meet changing consumer needs and, as a result, has avoided the decline stage. can we modify the market, the product, or the marketing mix?
– To compute quickly and halt we need a higher frequency clock but consume the same number of active cycles. So the work-rate product, af, unchanged, so no power difference ?
– Can product portfolios be more visualised vertically and horizontally to increase the understanding on the related PPM challenges and points for management attention?
– Have product specifications been reviewed with respect to existing and planned organizational programs, policies, procedures, and standards?
– There is a need to determine where value is added in the supply chain what are the expectations of each stakeholder in the supply chain?
– What support does the IT Security product provide for laptops/notebooks, personal digital assistants (PDA), and IP-based phones?
– Are there any patents and/or monopolies relevant for the products market potential and/or competitive situation?
– Which core Oracle Business Intelligence or Big Data Analytics products are used in your solution?
– When shipping a product, do you send tracking information to the customer?
– What is the progression of product/service orders for a typical customer?
– What market anomaly or inefficiency are you trying to capture?
– what is the minimum we can do to produce a quality product?
– Which product life-cycle stage, if any,is the most important?
– How are the evaluative criteria and dimensions chosen?
– What is the sales forecast?
– What do Customers Want?
Product lifecycle management Critical Criteria:
Shape Product lifecycle management issues and report on setting up Product lifecycle management without losing ground.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Product Data Management is underway?
– Have you identified your Product Data Management key performance indicators?
Version control Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Version control governance and get answers.
– How can you experiment with a complex change and benefit from the version control system without making the change public?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Product Data Management?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Product Data Management? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Will you be using a standard naming format and version control?
– How do we improve the way that we use version control?
– Why should we adopt a Product Data Management framework?
– What goes under version control?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Product Data Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Product Data Management External links:
Product Data Management | PDM | Epicor
Product Data Management for Diverse Customer Verticals
ECBC Product Data Management System Account Request
Change management External links:
[PDF]Organizational Change Management Readiness Guide …
Change management experts -Change Management Leaders
CDT Releases Organizational Change Management and …
Computer-aided design External links:
Computer-aided design is the use of computer systems to assist in the creation, modification, analysis, or optimization of a design. CAD software is used to increase the productivity of the designer, improve the quality of design, improve communications through documentation, and to create a database for manufacturing.
Configuration management External links:
Configuration Management | IpX
Interactive Configuration Management and Procurement …
End-of-life External links:
Crossroads Hospice: End-of-Life Family Care Services
Engineering change order External links:
Engineering Change Order | ECO Software | IQMS
ENGINEERING CHANGE ORDER | eQuorum Corporation
An engineering change order (ECO) is a documentation packet that outlines the proposed change, lists the product or part(s) that would be affected and requests review and approval from the individuals who would be impacted or charged with implementing the change.
Enterprise resource planning External links:
Enterprise Resource Planning
Enterprise Resource Planning System | Hill International
What is ERP (Enterprise resource planning)? – NetSuite.com
Metadata External links:
3 key tips to adding in your site’s metadata | Yola
Title Metadata Guide – IngramSpark
Title metadata – WiiBrew
New product introduction External links:
New Product Introduction (NPI) Process | API Technologies
TE Connectivity New Product Introduction – Allied Electronics
New Product Introduction (NPI) Process | API Technologies
Product External links:
Product return and recycling | HP® Official Site
The Melaleuca Product Store
Rheem Product Warranty Information
Product lifecycle management External links:
CMPRO Product Lifecycle Management Software by PSA Inc.
Agile Product Lifecycle Management
Version control External links:
VisualSVN – Subversion-based version control for Windows