What is involved in Business case
Find out what the related areas are that Business case connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Business case thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Business case journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Business case leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Business case related domains to cover and 182 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Business case, Business plan, Case competition, Cost–benefit analysis, Customer satisfaction, Gap analysis, Innovation, Net present value, Opportunity cost, Optimism bias, Planning fallacy, Presentation, Project, Project management, Project manager, Public sector, Reference class forecasting, Resources, Software upgrade, Stakeholder, System performance, Win-win:
Business case Critical Criteria:
Graph Business case governance and triple focus on important concepts of Business case relationship management.
– what is the best design framework for Business case organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Business case process?
– Who is driving and leading the business case development for your organization?
– Is there a business case where additional cyber security risks are involved?
– How will you know that the Business case project has been successful?
– What is the security -life cycle identity management business case?
– Have sensitivity of the business case been calculated?
– Right business case?
Business plan Critical Criteria:
See the value of Business plan planning and secure Business plan creativity.
– Its important to reach your customers. Every business, if wise, will have a promotion and advertising plan. You need to consider the image you want to project to your customers about your business. Will your business stand out because you are a proven a leader in the service or product industry by providing innovative services or products, or you provide customer confidence by providing high quality Customer Service?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Business case workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Business case?
– Is the Business case organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Have Business Plans with your Critical Preferred Vendors?
– Do you need to develop a Human Resources manual?
– How do you plan to address Customer Service?
– Do we offer Superior Customer Service?
Case competition Critical Criteria:
Trace Case competition adoptions and describe which business rules are needed as Case competition interface.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Business case. How do we gain traction?
– Which customers cant participate in our Business case domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– How do we Lead with Business case in Mind?
Cost–benefit analysis Critical Criteria:
Learn from Cost–benefit analysis issues and check on ways to get started with Cost–benefit analysis.
– Is Supporting Business case documentation required?
– Do we have past Business case Successes?
Customer satisfaction Critical Criteria:
Mine Customer satisfaction engagements and create a map for yourself.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– Does Business case include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What is the difference, if any, in customer satisfaction between the use and results of agile-driven software development methods and the use and results of plan-driven software development software development methods?
– How important are hard measurements that show return on investment compared to soft measurements that demonstrate customer satisfaction and public perception?
– Performance Standard: What should be the standards for completeness, reliability, accuracy, timeliness, customer satisfaction, quality and/or cost?
– Has it re-engineered or redesigned processes, and leveraged technologies to improve responsiveness, Customer Service and customer satisfaction?
– How does the company manage the design and delivery of products and services that promise a high level of customer satisfaction?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Business case?
– Is the Customer Satisfaction Process something which you think can be automated via an IVR?
– How does the firm measure and monitor client service and customer satisfaction?
– What employee characteristics drive customer satisfaction?
– Are there recognized Business case problems?
Gap analysis Critical Criteria:
Discuss Gap analysis management and remodel and develop an effective Gap analysis strategy.
– How can you negotiate Business case successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Business case project?
– Are accountability and ownership for Business case clearly defined?
Innovation Critical Criteria:
Match Innovation governance and research ways can we become the Innovation company that would put us out of business.
– How do we move from reacting to problems to fact-based, systematic evaluation and improvement and organizational learning through innovation?
– How does a discourse community emerge to launch an organizing vision for an IT innovation before it becomes fashionable or institutionalized?
– What is, really, the difference between development and innovation, i.e. how big or radical do changes have to be to warrant the label innovation ?
– Do you see the need to clarify copyright aspects of the data-driven innovation (e.g. with respect to technologies such as text and data mining)?
– How much do political issues impact on the decision in open source projects and how does this ultimately impact on innovation?
– To what extent do innovations fail to diffuse because the necessary supportive arrangements could not coalesce?
– In some projects up to 85% of the changes are performed by a small core of developers, what space for innovation is left?
– Do you see regulatory restrictions on data/servers localisation requirements as obstacles for data-driven innovation?
– To what extent does your organization have experience with big data and data-driven innovation (DDI)?
– The real challenge: are you willing to get better value and more innovation for some loss of privacy?
– What are the disruptive innovations in the middle-term that provide near-term domain leadership?
– Are employees open to new ideas and will they support innovations?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development andor innovation?
– Have we built customer-driven innovation into our organization?
– How does technology destiny affect organizational innovation?
– Does technological diversification promote innovation?
– What can we do to foster greater levels of innovation?
Net present value Critical Criteria:
Audit Net present value failures and slay a dragon.
– When using the net present value method, how does one know whether the true rate of return is greater or less than the discount rate?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Business case opportunities costing us money?
– What is the major disadvantage of the net present value method?
– Has the products net present value (npv) been calculated?
– Is Business case Required?
Opportunity cost Critical Criteria:
Canvass Opportunity cost tactics and oversee implementation of Opportunity cost.
– What is the opportunity cost of providing staff with the potential to learn new technologies or increase their expertise?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Business case delivery for example is new software needed?
– In what ways are Business case vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– What are the opportunity costs for conducting the program?
Optimism bias Critical Criteria:
Explore Optimism bias decisions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Optimism bias.
– What are the barriers to increased Business case production?
– How to deal with Business case Changes?
Planning fallacy Critical Criteria:
Gauge Planning fallacy projects and create a map for yourself.
– Does our organization need more Business case education?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Business case Management?
– What is our formula for success in Business case ?
Presentation Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Presentation adoptions and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Presentation decisions.
– Can the system protect against unauthorized access by use of an image versus presentation of an actual biometric object (i.e., presentation of a picture of an iris/retina versus presentation of the actual eye)?
– You meet with the chief executive – you start your presentation. after the first three of sixty slides he/she says, I am convinced, what should we do?
– Do the requirements that weve gathered and the models that demonstrate them constitute a full and accurate representation of what we want?
– Has the presentation of search results based on various parameters such as content type or topic been determined?
– Think about the functions involved in your Business case project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Business case leader?
– Global email, posters, paycheck advice messages, intranet, presentations, Health & Benefit Fair?
– Is any of this documentation suitable for a journal article or conference presentation?
– What are the key promotion and shelf presentation tactics?
– How do we manage Business case Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Is there a prescriptive presentation format?
Project Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Project outcomes and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Project decisions.
– How do you take a methodology, like agile development, that basically evolved in small groups and then scale it up so that it works on projects with hundreds of developers and thousands of users?
– Does the software Quality Assurance function have a management reporting channel separate from the software development project management?
– For your Business case project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Are there process theory explanations for differentiating better from less successful ways to implement agile techniques?
– What should the project manager(s) do differently next time your organization undergoes a change process?
– Does the project require agreements related to organizational data sharing that havent yet been created?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Business case project?
– Should financing costs be considered when measuring a projects cash flows?
– Is the funding for the project secure, or is only part of it in place?
– Should you have a strict project sequence, or should you be flexible?
– Does implementation of project management require a culture change?
– Can Agility Work With a Waterfall Project Management Process in our Setting?
– What is meant by an integrative approach to project management?
– Based on your project communication management plan, what worked well?
– Should a more thorough impact analysis be conducted?
– What is an economic aspect of Project Management?
– What sources of information are reliable?
– Have we identified possible roadblocks?
– How time-constrained is the project?
– How is it justified?
Project management Critical Criteria:
Talk about Project management issues and optimize Project management leadership as a key to advancement.
– Agile project management with Scrum derives from best business practices in companies like Fuji-Xerox, Honda, Canon, and Toyota. Toyota routinely achieves four times the productivity and 12 times the quality of competitors. Can Scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– Are there implications for the observed success of agile to date that reflects on our larger understanding of organizations and their fundamental nature?
– Which existing processes, tools and templates for executing projects can be applied to the agile project management framework?
– What about when our product is an integration of several different products, each with their own product owner?
– Are there metrics and standards that can be used for control of agile project progress during execution?
– Will the metrics and measurement techniques to determine project success (or failure) need to change?
– How will the existing culture and organizational structure be impacted by agile project management?
– What is important in the kick-off meeting to enable feedback and learning?
– What s the protocol for interaction, decision making, project management?
– What project management qualifications does the Project Manager have?
– Does your organization have a Project Management Office (PMO)?
– How can Trello be used as an Agile project management tool?
– What is the role of Project Management Body of Knowledge?
– What work wouldnt get done if no more funds were added?
– What are the usability implications of Business case actions?
– What project management associations are you a member of?
– What about when our context is not so simple?
– What project management certifications do you hold?
– How familiar are we with Agile project management?
– Who is a customer?
Project manager Critical Criteria:
Refer to Project manager results and explain and analyze the challenges of Project manager.
– There is lots of discussion about the role of a project manager; whether a project manager is needed in the agile world or not. How much and which way a traditional project manager has to change his/her management style or way of working in order to be an agile project manager?
– With agile processes promoting the concept of self-directed teams, is there room for the conventional project manager or does this role also need to evolve to suit the principles of the new paradigm?
– Do we have these warning signs: This project is not that big and everyone knows what they are doing -why do we need a project manager?
– What are the actions taken by project managers when leading and implementing a transformational change initiative?
– How can an agile project manager balance team level autonomy and individual level autonomy in agile software teams?
– So, if the project no longer needs a detailed master project plan, why does it need a project manager?
– What processes do project managers and content strategists use to collect content for client websites?
– What are the most important skills practitioners consider make an effective people project manager?
– So, if the project no longer needs a detailed master project plan, why does it need a project manager?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Business case project manager?
– Can project managers measure project status at any point in time?
– What is the necessity of a Project Manager?
– What is the duty of a Project Manager?
– What was the project manager best at?
– Who are the project managers?
– What is our Business case Strategy?
Public sector Critical Criteria:
Study Public sector management and check on ways to get started with Public sector.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Business case, including any consulting or professional services?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Business case objectives?
– How do we measure improved Business case service perception, and satisfaction?
Reference class forecasting Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Reference class forecasting failures and triple focus on important concepts of Reference class forecasting relationship management.
– In the case of a Business case project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Business case project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Business case project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Who will provide the final approval of Business case deliverables?
Resources Critical Criteria:
Understand Resources failures and do something to it.
– Does the information security function actively engage with other critical functions, such as it, Human Resources, legal, and the privacy officer, to develop and enforce compliance with information security and privacy policies and practices?
– Strategic goals: Management is required to split resources across the specified strategic goals. For example, what percent should be spent on Defending the Base?
– A vital question in new product management is: how should the business most effectively invest its research and development (r&d) and new product resources?
– Do we have the right skills and resources available for effectively developing and launching the product?
– What are the costs and benefits (direct and indirect) of allocating resources to modify the program?
– What are the procedures for filing an internal complaint about the handling of personal data?
– What management issues are not adequately addressed by existing tools or other resources?
– How likely is the current Business case plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What types of resources/skills set will be needed to carry out the assignment?
– Do you need to spend significant resources now, or can you wait a few years?
– How should you most effectively invest your product development resources?
– Is the crisis management team comprised of members from Human Resources?
– How does the company provide notice of its information practices?
– Do you have Human Resources available to support your policies?
– How should any risks to privacy and civil liberties be managed?
Software upgrade Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Software upgrade risks and stake your claim.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Business case that make it risky?
Stakeholder Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Stakeholder goals and test out new things.
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– Stakeholder organizations will all have their own objectives and channels to market and this provides them with a challenge. How do they manage their piece of the overall ecosystem and benefit from it whilst also contributing to the greater good of society at large?
– Are there project management practices that remain constant across traditional, hybrid, and agile approaches (e.g., Risk Management, stakeholder management, team building)?
– Are stakeholders, including eligible students or students parents, regularly notified about their rights under applicable federal and state laws governing data privacy?
– Do we talk with your key stakeholders and identify the top challenges we are facing (are they the same as discussed in this session or do you have unique ones?
– Have the concerns of stakeholders to help identify and define potential barriers been obtained and analyzed?
– How can cloud stakeholders ensure and promote the security of Cloud computing?
– What are the security information requirements of Cybersecurity stakeholders?
– Are there any potential stakeholders who might not support the program?
– How will stakeholders and customers react to the change?
– Does the hr plan make sense to our stakeholders?
– How do we engage the stakeholders?
System performance Critical Criteria:
Deduce System performance tasks and clarify ways to gain access to competitive System performance services.
– Is an asset management process(es) in place to inventory and manage this new asset (investment) from a property management perspective, to provide Configuration Management support, and to monitor system performance?
– Have you considered that metrics collection, and system performance and security monitoring are more difficult in the cloud?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Business case goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What are the important external or multisectoral determinants of system performance?
– Do we monitor the Business case decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Does the Business case task fit the clients priorities?
Win-win Critical Criteria:
Group Win-win tasks and look for lots of ideas.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Business case requirements in detail?
– How much does Business case help?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Business case Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Business case External links:
Business Case Studies & Business Publications – …
What is business case? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Preparing An Effective Business Case – Ontario
Business plan External links:
Free Easy Business Plan Online – formtemplates.org
http://Ad · formtemplates.org/Free-Biz-Forms/Business-Plan
How to Write a Business Plan for a Small Business: 14 …
Business Plan Templates
Case competition External links:
Graduate Case Competition – NBMBAA
Case Competitions | UConn MBA Program
Why participate in AAU Case Competition? – AAU …
Customer satisfaction External links:
JCPenney Customer Satisfaction Survey – Welcome
Raising Cane’s Customer Satisfaction Survey
Big Lots! Customer Satisfaction Survey
Gap analysis External links:
Gap Analysis – From MindTools.com
Gap Analysis Template: The 3 Key Elements of …
ProjectManagement.com – Gap Analysis
Innovation External links:
Innovation Synonyms, Innovation Antonyms | …
Center for Court Innovation – Official Site
Net present value External links:
Net Present Value Formula and Calculator
Net Present Value (NPV) – Math is Fun
How to Use Net Present Value Analysis – Entrepreneur
Opportunity cost External links:
What does opportunity cost mean – Answers.com
“StartUp” Opportunity Cost (TV Episode 2017) – IMDb
What is an opportunity cost? definition and meaning
Optimism bias External links:
Tali Sharot: The optimism bias | TED Talk
The Optimism Bias and Its Impact – Verywell
The Optimism Bias – TIME.com
Planning fallacy External links:
The planning fallacy and reference class forecasting
Planning Fallacy – The Personal MBA
The Project Planning Fallacy – Bric
Presentation External links:
Untitled Presentation | Product (Business) | Sales
Untitled Presentation – SlideShare
Presentation Titles that Attract an Audience
Project management External links:
LearnSmart IT & Project Management Online Training …
Certifications | Project Management Institute
Project manager External links:
HealthMEDX Project Manager Logon
Project Manager Job Description – Job Descriptions
9 Must-Ask Interview Questions When Hiring a Project Manager
Public sector External links:
NEOGOV HRMS | HR Software for Government & Public Sector
Reference class forecasting External links:
Musings on project management: Reference Class Forecasting
The planning fallacy and reference class forecasting
What is Reference Class Forecasting? – Simplicable
Resources External links:
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources: Minnesota …
TEACH Resources: TEACH System :OTI:NYSED
Software upgrade External links:
SAVRXVUGK2 | XV-Series Software Upgrade Premium Pack II
Software Upgrade 17.4 – Snap-on
VZ software upgrade assistant | Verizon Community
Stakeholder External links:
Stakeholder | Definition of Stakeholder by Merriam-Webster
Free Stakeholder Analysis Templates Smartsheet
Stakeholder Synonyms, Stakeholder Antonyms | …
System performance External links:
Comparative Health System Performance (CHSP) …
System Performance | Bureau of Transportation Statistics
Improving System Performance without Adding Memory …
Win-win External links:
Habit 4: Think Win-Win – FranklinCovey | Home
Win-win – definition of win-win by The Free Dictionary
Win-Win Negotiation – Negotiation Skills from MindTools.com