What is involved in Application Performance Monitoring
Find out what the related areas are that Application Performance Monitoring connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Application Performance Monitoring thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Application Performance Monitoring journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Application Performance Monitoring leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Application Performance Monitoring related domains to cover and 159 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Application Performance Monitoring, Application performance management, .NET Framework, Application Response Measurement, Application service management, Business transaction management, Business transaction performance, Cloud computing, Data analytics, Gartner, Information technology, Level of service, Middleware, Network management, Passive monitoring, Performance metric, Performance metrics, Platform virtualization, Port mirroring, Resource, Round-trip delay time, Software, Synthetic monitoring, Systems management, User experience, Website monitoring:
Application Performance Monitoring Critical Criteria:
Generalize Application Performance Monitoring outcomes and describe the risks of Application Performance Monitoring sustainability.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Application Performance Monitoring process?
– How do we measure improved Application Performance Monitoring service perception, and satisfaction?
Application performance management Critical Criteria:
Use past Application performance management issues and devote time assessing Application performance management and its risk.
– Is maximizing Application Performance Monitoring protection the same as minimizing Application Performance Monitoring loss?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Application Performance Monitoring that make it risky?
– What are all of our Application Performance Monitoring domains and what do they do?
.NET Framework Critical Criteria:
Trace .NET Framework issues and do something to it.
– When a Application Performance Monitoring manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How is the value delivered by Application Performance Monitoring being measured?
– Are we Assessing Application Performance Monitoring and Risk?
Application Response Measurement Critical Criteria:
Study Application Response Measurement management and explain and analyze the challenges of Application Response Measurement.
– Does our organization need more Application Performance Monitoring education?
– How much does Application Performance Monitoring help?
Application service management Critical Criteria:
Refer to Application service management engagements and secure Application service management creativity.
– Have all basic functions of Application Performance Monitoring been defined?
– Do we all define Application Performance Monitoring in the same way?
Business transaction management Critical Criteria:
Track Business transaction management visions and display thorough understanding of the Business transaction management process.
– Is there any existing Application Performance Monitoring governance structure?
– What are our Application Performance Monitoring Processes?
– How can we improve Application Performance Monitoring?
Business transaction performance Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Business transaction performance tactics and get out your magnifying glass.
– Who sets the Application Performance Monitoring standards?
– How do we go about Securing Application Performance Monitoring?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Cloud computing outcomes and get out your magnifying glass.
– Governance: Is there a governance structure to ensure that PII is managed and protected through its life cycle, even when it is stored or processed in a cloud computing environment?
– Well-defined, appropriate concepts of the technology are in widespread use, the technology may have been in use for many years, a formal mathematical model is defined, etc.)?
– What impact has emerging technology (e.g., cloud computing, virtualization and mobile computing) had on your companys ITRM program over the past 12 months?
– Change in technology and prices over time: what will billing units be like for the higher-level virtualization clouds?
– How will technology advancements in soa, virtualization and cloud computing further and enable saas adoption?
– What is the future scope for combination of Business Intelligence and Cloud Computing?
– What new opportunities are either enabled by or potential drivers of cloud computing?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– Will Cloud Computing replace traditional dedicated server hosting?
– How does cloud computing affect budget predictability for CIOs?
– What is the importance of standards-based cloud computing?
– What are the pros cons of various oss for cloud computing?
– Is there any recourses about cloud computing performance?
– Why is cloud security such a big challenge?
– Defining terms: what is a cloud platform?
– What problems does cloud computing solve?
– What Is the Lifecycle Services Framework?
– How technically mature is the standard?
– How not to be locked in a SaaS system?
– Cloud computing: could it cost more?
Data analytics Critical Criteria:
Survey Data analytics outcomes and probe the present value of growth of Data analytics.
– What are the potential areas of conflict that can arise between organizations IT and marketing functions around the deployment and use of business intelligence and data analytics software services and what is the best way to resolve them?
– What are the long-term implications of other disruptive technologies (e.g., machine learning, robotics, data analytics) converging with blockchain development?
– What are the particular research needs of your organization on big data analytics that you find essential to adequately handle your data assets?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Application Performance Monitoring agendas for the next 3 years?
– Can we be rewired to use the power of data analytics to improve our management of human capital?
– What is the difference between Data Analytics Data Analysis Data Mining and Data Science?
– Which departments in your organization are involved in using data technologies and data analytics?
– Which core Oracle Business Intelligence or Big Data Analytics products are used in your solution?
– Social Data Analytics Are you integrating social into your business intelligence?
– what is the difference between Data analytics and Business Analytics If Any?
– What are specific Application Performance Monitoring Rules to follow?
– Does your organization have a strategy on big data or data analytics?
– What are our tools for big data analytics?
Gartner Critical Criteria:
Consult on Gartner strategies and sort Gartner activities.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Application Performance Monitoring strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What are our needs in relation to Application Performance Monitoring skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Information technology issues and overcome Information technology skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Application Performance Monitoring leaders?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Application Performance Monitoring move?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Level of service Critical Criteria:
Depict Level of service outcomes and create Level of service explanations for all managers.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Application Performance Monitoring activities?
– What level of service resilience and backup is provided within the service?
– What level of service or quality of service should the customer expect?
– What level of service resilience and backup is provided within the service?
– What level of service resilience and backup is provided within services?
– What are the costs to provide this level of service?
– Are there Application Performance Monitoring Models?
– What level of service should be offered?
Middleware Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Middleware quality and report on setting up Middleware without losing ground.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Application Performance Monitoring services/products?
– In which area(s) do data integration and BI, as part of Fusion Middleware, help our IT infrastructure?
– Have security reviews included requirements for support, plug-in components, or middleware?
– What are the business goals Application Performance Monitoring is aiming to achieve?
– Have security reviews been made for support/plug-in components middleware?
– How would one define Application Performance Monitoring leadership?
– What middlewares are used in Internet of things?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Consider Network management visions and adopt an insight outlook.
– Why are Application Performance Monitoring skills important?
Passive monitoring Critical Criteria:
Focus on Passive monitoring issues and customize techniques for implementing Passive monitoring controls.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Application Performance Monitoring process?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Application Performance Monitoring moving forward?
Performance metric Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Performance metric decisions and pay attention to the small things.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Application Performance Monitoring is underway?
– Have you defined IT risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Application Performance Monitoring Management?
– How to Secure Application Performance Monitoring?
Performance metrics Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Performance metrics tactics and find out what it really means.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Application Performance Monitoring processes?
– How important is Application Performance Monitoring to the user organizations mission?
Platform virtualization Critical Criteria:
Recall Platform virtualization engagements and adjust implementation of Platform virtualization.
– What vendors make products that address the Application Performance Monitoring needs?
– How can the value of Application Performance Monitoring be defined?
– Why should we adopt a Application Performance Monitoring framework?
Port mirroring Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Port mirroring outcomes and sort Port mirroring activities.
– Does Application Performance Monitoring include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– In a project to restructure Application Performance Monitoring outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Application Performance Monitoring processes?
Resource Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Resource failures and figure out ways to motivate other Resource users.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– Does your department or organizational unit manage or support computing resources (data bases, hardware, web pages, etc.) that are used by people that access those resources from outside your department?
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Application Performance Monitoring strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Does your company provide resources to improve end-user awareness of phishing, malware, indicators of compromise, and procedures in the event of a potential breach?
– What types of resources (e.g., virtual machines, storage space, development environments) does the provider offer as part of each of its service models?
– Is a risk treatment plan formulated to identify the appropriate mgmt action, resources, responsibilities and priorities for managing information security risks?
– Are adequate funding and the right type of personnel resources available throughout the project lifecycle to support and maintain the information?
– Which component(s) of a cloud infrastructure framework helps automating the creation and delivery of computing resources to the consumers?
– Alignment of support costs and related resources to the high return products can have a dramatic impact on the bottom line. How do you manage this?
– How often do we hold meaningful conversations at the operating level among sales, finance, operations, IT, and human resources?
– While you can hire consultants to help alleviate the resource crunch for the project, who gets to run them after the consultants leave?
– Which type of attack could enable the installation of a rogue hypervisor and take control of underlying server resources?
– Is our strategy driving our strategy? Or is the way in which we allocate resources driving our strategy?
– Does the cloud service provider have necessary security controls on their human resources?
– Where can an employee go for further information about the dispute resolution program?
– What tools, resources, and training are required to perform baseline management?
– How does the organization acquire and allocate its computing resources?
– What steps are taken to promote compliance with the hr principles?
Round-trip delay time Critical Criteria:
Debate over Round-trip delay time leadership and document what potential Round-trip delay time megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Does the Application Performance Monitoring task fit the clients priorities?
– Which Application Performance Monitoring goals are the most important?
Software Critical Criteria:
Rank Software leadership and describe the risks of Software sustainability.
– Much of the agile advice is oriented towards small teams of up to ten people, who are either co-located or near located, who have ready access to their primary stakeholders, and who are working on software that can be easily organized into a series of small releases. What about large teams?
– Has anyone made unauthorized changes or additions to your systems hardware, firmware, or software characteristics without your IT departments knowledge, instruction, or consent?
– Does the software provide fast query performance, either via its own fast in-memory software or by directly connecting to fast data stores?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Application Performance Monitoring delivery for example is new software needed?
– How does the vendor handle software and hardware maintenance, end user support, and maintenance agreements?
– What impact would the naming conventions and the use of homegrown software have on later data access?
– What does each software asset cost now and throughout the upgrade or refresh cycles?
– What documentation is provided with the software / system and in what format?
– Who would benefit from the framework(s) and how could it (they) be utilized?
– What are some software and skills that every Data Scientist should know?
– How Agile are Industrial Software Development Practices?
– Project Scope: What is the purpose of the new software?
– Are there SaaS tools for allocating workers to tasks?
– Does your software integrate with active directory?
– How do Web Operators communicate with Developers?
– Why software Configuration Management ?
– Can software really inspire creativity?
– Addressing existing Legacy Software?
– How do engineers feel about it?
Synthetic monitoring Critical Criteria:
Chat re Synthetic monitoring risks and overcome Synthetic monitoring skills and management ineffectiveness.
– To what extent does management recognize Application Performance Monitoring as a tool to increase the results?
– Does Application Performance Monitoring appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Systems management Critical Criteria:
Analyze Systems management tasks and adopt an insight outlook.
– Which customers cant participate in our Application Performance Monitoring domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Application Performance Monitoring project?
User experience Critical Criteria:
Substantiate User experience tasks and probe using an integrated framework to make sure User experience is getting what it needs.
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– How can I avoid duplication of identity, attributes, and credentials and provide a single sign-on user experience for my users?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Application Performance Monitoring project?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Application Performance Monitoring effort?
– What is the difference between information architecture and user experience design?
– What are the potential impacts to user experience by using a cloud-based service?
– Agile-User Experience Design: With or Without a Usability Expert in the Team?
– What are the problems when integrating Agile Development and User Experience?
– What are the best-practices for creating a good User Experience?
– How do we Lead with Application Performance Monitoring in Mind?
– What does User Experience do?
– What is User Experience?
Website monitoring Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Website monitoring engagements and devote time assessing Website monitoring and its risk.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Application Performance Monitoring processes?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Application Performance Monitoring, including any consulting or professional services?
– Are assumptions made in Application Performance Monitoring stated explicitly?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Application Performance Monitoring Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Application Performance Monitoring External links:
Application Performance Monitoring & Alerting | AppOptics
Application performance management External links:
Application Performance Management | TraceView
Application Performance Management for Big Data – Unravel
Enable IBM Application Performance Management …
.NET Framework External links:
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 coming to WSUS – WSUS …
Application Response Measurement External links:
Application Response Measurement (ARM) Tools | MyARM
ARM – Application Response Measurement
Application service management External links:
APPLICATION SERVICE MANAGEMENT DEVICE AND …
Skill Pages – Application service management | Dice.com
Business transaction management External links:
[PDF]Oracle® Business Transaction Management
Oracle® Business Transaction Management Release …
Business transaction management – DocuSign
Business transaction performance External links:
Business Transaction Performance – Pinterest
Cloud computing External links:
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
AWS Cloud Computing Certification Program – aws.amazon.com
Data analytics External links:
What is data analytics (DA)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
What is Data Analytics? – Definition from Techopedia
What is data analytics (DA)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Gartner External links:
Working at Gartner
Gartner Events On Demand
Gartner Studios – Official Site
Information technology External links:
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Level of service External links:
[PDF]APPENDIX B Traffic Level of Service Calculation Methods
[PDF]Predicting outcome with the Level of Service …
Middleware External links:
Welcome to Oracle Fusion Middleware – California
Welcome to GoSOLAR — Oracle Fusion Middleware — …
ASP.NET Core Middleware | Microsoft Docs
Network management External links:
UNMS – Ubiquiti Network Management System
Video: Network Management Card (NMC) Password …
What is Network Management? Webopedia Definition
Performance metric External links:
What Is a Good Performance Metric? | Chron.com
performance metrics – Wiktionary
performance metric – Wiktionary
Performance metrics External links:
Log in – Automated Traffic Signal Performance Metrics
Performance metrics and goals | Mass.gov
Enterprise Performance Metrics
Platform virtualization External links:
[PDF]Software platform virtualization in chemistry …
Port mirroring External links:
[PDF]RECORDING VoIP TRAFFIC via PORT MIRRORING …
Port Mirroring – 4503 – The Cisco Learning Network
Resource External links:
Resource Title National Agency, Inc.
Title Resources – Official Site
First American – Title Resource Database
Round-trip delay time External links:
Round-trip delay time – YouTube
RTD | Round-Trip Delay Time | Glossary
Software External links:
Insite Software | Built for B2B™
InSite SiteWork Excavation Software Overview
Insite Software – Concur
Synthetic monitoring External links:
Synthetic Monitoring Support | Dynatrace
What is Synthetic Monitoring? – MaxCDN
AlertBot: Advanced Synthetic Monitoring Made Easy
Systems management External links:
Geographic Information Systems Management Office – …
Welcome to the Mail Systems Management Association
User experience External links:
User Experience | UX Design Tools | Optimal Workshop
Google User Experience Research
freeform | Industrial Design & User Experience
Website monitoring External links:
Site24x7 – Website Monitoring, Website Monitoring …
Website Monitoring – MxToolbox
checkwebsite.org @ Website Monitoring – …