What is involved in Security Assessment and Testing
Find out what the related areas are that Security Assessment and Testing connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Security Assessment and Testing thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Security Assessment and Testing journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Security Assessment and Testing leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Security Assessment and Testing related domains to cover and 147 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Security Assessment and Testing, Security testing, Access control, Antivirus software, Application security, Computer access control, Computer crime, Computer security, Computer virus, Computer worm, Data-centric security, Denial of service, False positives and false negatives, Information security, Information system, Internet security, Intrusion detection system, Intrusion prevention system, Logic bomb, Mobile secure gateway, Mobile security, Multi-factor authentication, National Information Assurance Glossary, Network security, Penetration test, Secure coding, Security-focused operating system, Security by design, Trojan horse, Vulnerability assessment:
Security Assessment and Testing Critical Criteria:
X-ray Security Assessment and Testing quality and achieve a single Security Assessment and Testing view and bringing data together.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Security Assessment and Testing process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Security Assessment and Testing process available?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Security Assessment and Testing does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Is a Security Assessment and Testing Team Work effort in place?
Security testing Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Security testing results and assess what counts with Security testing that we are not counting.
– IDS/IPS traffic pattern analysis can often detect or block attacks such as a denial-of-service attack or a network scan. However, in some cases this is legitimate traffic (such as using cloud infrastructure for load testing or security testing). Does the cloud provider have a documented exception process for allowing legitimate traffic that the IDS/IPS flags as an attack pattern?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Security Assessment and Testing processes?
– Why is Security Assessment and Testing important for you now?
– Is the scope of Security Assessment and Testing defined?
Access control Critical Criteria:
Scan Access control adoptions and summarize a clear Access control focus.
– Question to cloud provider: Does your platform offer fine-grained access control so that my users can have different roles that do not create conflicts or violate compliance guidelines?
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Can the access control product protect individual devices (e.g., floppy disks, compact disks–read-only memory CD-ROM, serial and parallel interfaces, and system clipboard)?
– If our security management product supports access control based on defined rules, what is the granularity of the rules supported: access control per user, group, or role?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– Access control: Are there appropriate controls over access to PII when stored in the cloud so that only individuals with a need to know will be able to access it?
– How can you negotiate Security Assessment and Testing successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Security Assessment and Testing process?
– Do access control logs contain successful and unsuccessful login attempts and access to audit logs?
– Is the process actually generating measurable improvement in the state of logical access control?
– Access control: Are there appropriate access controls over PII when it is in the cloud?
– Access Control To Program Source Code: Is access to program source code restricted?
– What is the direction of flow for which access control is required?
– Do the provider services offer fine grained access control?
– What type of advanced access control is supported?
– What access control exists to protect the data?
– What is our role based access control?
– Is Security Assessment and Testing Required?
Antivirus software Critical Criteria:
Debate over Antivirus software planning and finalize specific methods for Antivirus software acceptance.
– Do the Security Assessment and Testing decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Is Supporting Security Assessment and Testing documentation required?
Application security Critical Criteria:
Trace Application security leadership and overcome Application security skills and management ineffectiveness.
– For your Security Assessment and Testing project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Security Assessment and Testing project?
– Can we do Security Assessment and Testing without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
Computer access control Critical Criteria:
Devise Computer access control outcomes and change contexts.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Security Assessment and Testing project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Security Assessment and Testing. How do we gain traction?
– What are specific Security Assessment and Testing Rules to follow?
Computer crime Critical Criteria:
Track Computer crime issues and finalize specific methods for Computer crime acceptance.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Security Assessment and Testing models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Security Assessment and Testing experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What are the short and long-term Security Assessment and Testing goals?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Computer security planning and find out.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Security Assessment and Testing process?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Security Assessment and Testing leader?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Security Assessment and Testing processes of our organization?
Computer virus Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Computer virus tasks and interpret which customers can’t participate in Computer virus because they lack skills.
– What vendors make products that address the Security Assessment and Testing needs?
– Are assumptions made in Security Assessment and Testing stated explicitly?
– Do we all define Security Assessment and Testing in the same way?
Computer worm Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Computer worm tasks and shift your focus.
– What are the disruptive Security Assessment and Testing technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– How do we go about Securing Security Assessment and Testing?
Data-centric security Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Data-centric security goals and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Security Assessment and Testing effort?
– What are the barriers to increased Security Assessment and Testing production?
– Is there any existing Security Assessment and Testing governance structure?
– What is data-centric security and its role in GDPR compliance?
Denial of service Critical Criteria:
Explore Denial of service management and adjust implementation of Denial of service.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Security Assessment and Testing product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– How easy would it be to lose your service if a denial of service attack is launched within your cloud provider?
– What ability does the provider have to deal with denial of service attacks?
False positives and false negatives Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in False positives and false negatives failures and correct better engagement with False positives and false negatives results.
– In what ways are Security Assessment and Testing vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Security Assessment and Testing process?
– Is the Security Assessment and Testing organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Confer re Information security tactics and oversee implementation of Information security.
– Does mgmt communicate to the organization on the importance of meeting the information security objectives, conforming to the information security policy and the need for continual improvement?
– Has specific responsibility been assigned for the execution of business continuity and disaster recovery plans (either within or outside of the information security function)?
– Are information security policies and other relevant security information disseminated to all system users (including vendors, contractors, and business partners)?
– Does the ISMS policy provide a framework for setting objectives and establishes an overall sense of direction and principles for action with regard to information security?
– Are Human Resources subject to screening, and do they have terms and conditions of employment defining their information security responsibilities?
– Do suitable policies for the information security exist for all critical assets of the value added chain (indication of completeness of policies, Ico )?
– Do we have an official information security architecture, based on our Risk Management analysis and information security strategy?
– Do suitable policies for the information security exist for all critical assets of the value added chain (degree of completeness)?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Does your company have a current information security policy that has been approved by executive management?
– Does your organization have a chief information security officer (CISO or equivalent title)?
– What best describes the authorization process in information security?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Is an organizational information security policy established?
– Conform to the identified information security requirements?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Information system planning and sort Information system activities.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Security Assessment and Testing services/products?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Security Assessment and Testing ?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
Internet security Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Internet security leadership and triple focus on important concepts of Internet security relationship management.
– Think about the functions involved in your Security Assessment and Testing project. what processes flow from these functions?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Security Assessment and Testing processes?
– Are we Assessing Security Assessment and Testing and Risk?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Detail Intrusion detection system outcomes and oversee Intrusion detection system requirements.
– Can we add value to the current Security Assessment and Testing decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Is maximizing Security Assessment and Testing protection the same as minimizing Security Assessment and Testing loss?
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
Intrusion prevention system Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Intrusion prevention system strategies and document what potential Intrusion prevention system megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Are security alerts from the intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system (ids/ips) continuously monitored, and are the latest ids/ips signatures installed?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Security Assessment and Testing processes?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Security Assessment and Testing delivery for example is new software needed?
– Is a intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system used on the network?
– How do we maintain Security Assessment and Testings Integrity?
Logic bomb Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Logic bomb governance and maintain Logic bomb for success.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Security Assessment and Testing project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Security Assessment and Testing project lifecycle?
– What will drive Security Assessment and Testing change?
Mobile secure gateway Critical Criteria:
Probe Mobile secure gateway management and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Mobile secure gateway.
– Why should we adopt a Security Assessment and Testing framework?
– What threat is Security Assessment and Testing addressing?
Mobile security Critical Criteria:
Confer re Mobile security quality and report on setting up Mobile security without losing ground.
– Does our organization need more Security Assessment and Testing education?
– What are the usability implications of Security Assessment and Testing actions?
Multi-factor authentication Critical Criteria:
Add value to Multi-factor authentication adoptions and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Think about the people you identified for your Security Assessment and Testing project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Do those selected for the Security Assessment and Testing team have a good general understanding of what Security Assessment and Testing is all about?
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– When a Security Assessment and Testing manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Is multi-factor authentication supported for provider services?
National Information Assurance Glossary Critical Criteria:
Distinguish National Information Assurance Glossary planning and adopt an insight outlook.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Security Assessment and Testing strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Security Assessment and Testing project?
Network security Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Network security results and stake your claim.
– In the case of a Security Assessment and Testing project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Security Assessment and Testing project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Security Assessment and Testing project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Security Assessment and Testing workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What are the key elements of your Security Assessment and Testing performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Are the disaster recovery plan (DRP) and the business contingency plan (BCP) tested annually?
Penetration test Critical Criteria:
Graph Penetration test failures and slay a dragon.
– Is a vulnerability scan or penetration test performed on all internet-facing applications and systems before they go into production?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Security Assessment and Testing strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Security Assessment and Testing requirements in detail?
Secure coding Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Secure coding tactics and forecast involvement of future Secure coding projects in development.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Security Assessment and Testing products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Does Security Assessment and Testing systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Think about Security-focused operating system planning and balance specific methods for improving Security-focused operating system results.
– Will Security Assessment and Testing have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
Security by design Critical Criteria:
Chat re Security by design engagements and explain and analyze the challenges of Security by design.
– Which customers cant participate in our Security Assessment and Testing domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Who sets the Security Assessment and Testing standards?
– How to deal with Security Assessment and Testing Changes?
Trojan horse Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Trojan horse issues and handle a jump-start course to Trojan horse.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Security Assessment and Testing?
Vulnerability assessment Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Vulnerability assessment tasks and pioneer acquisition of Vulnerability assessment systems.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Security Assessment and Testing in a volatile global economy?
– Does your organization perform vulnerability assessment activities as part of the acquisition cycle for products in each of the following areas: Cybersecurity, SCADA, smart grid, internet connectivity, and website hosting?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Security Assessment and Testing is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once the system is put into production (e.g., ongoing risk management after implementation)?
– Is Security Assessment and Testing dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Do you have an internal or external company performing your vulnerability assessment?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Security Assessment and Testing Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Security Assessment and Testing External links:
Jobs Analyst Security Assessment and Testing
Cissp – Security Assessment And Testing – Cram.com
Security testing External links:
TxDPS – Private Security Testing/Training
Access control External links:
What is Access Control? – Definition from Techopedia
Linear Pro Access – Professional Access Control Systems
Antivirus software External links:
Geek Squad Antivirus Software Download | Webroot
Free Antivirus Download – AntiVirus Software at FileHippo
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
Application security External links:
Program Rules – Application Security – Google
What is application security? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Application Security News, Tutorials & Tools – DZone
Computer access control External links:
Smart Card Technology: New Methods for Computer Access Control
CASSIE – Computer Access Control – librarica.com
Computer crime External links:
What is a Computer Crime? (with pictures) – wiseGEEK
“Barney Miller” Computer Crime (TV Episode 1979) – IMDb
Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section …
http://www.justice.gov › … › About The Criminal Division › Sections/Offices
Computer security External links:
Naked Security – Computer Security News, Advice and …
Computer Security | Consumer Information
Report a Computer Security Vulnerability – TechNet …
Computer virus External links:
Don’t fall for this computer virus scam! – May. 12, 2017
Computer Viruses – AbeBooks
Top 10 Computer Viruses | Security News – PC Tools
Computer worm External links:
What is a Computer Worm? | Security News
What is computer worm? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Data-centric security External links:
The Value of Data-Centric Security | GovLoop Online …
False positives and false negatives External links:
Medical False Positives and False Negatives – …
Information security External links:
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
[PDF]Tax Information Security Guidelines For Federal, …
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System: …
Internet security External links:
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
AT&T – Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee
Internet Security Threat Report 2017 | Symantec
Intrusion detection system External links:
[PDF]Section 9. Intrusion Detection Systems
Intrusion prevention system External links:
Intrusion prevention system
http://Intrusion prevention systems (IPS), also known as intrusion detection and prevention systems (IDPS), are network security appliances that monitor network and/or system activities for malicious activity. The main functions of intrusion prevention systems are to identify malicious activity, log information about this activity, attempt to block/stop it, and report it.
How does an Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) work? – …
Cisco Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS)
Logic bomb External links:
Download and Read Logic Bomb Logic Bomb logic bomb
The Logic Bomb by Scott Richard Lord – Goodreads
logic bomb – Everything2.com
Mobile secure gateway External links:
Mobile secure gateway – WOW.com
TeskaLabs – Mobile Secure Gateway
Mobile secure gateway – iSnare Free Encyclopedia
Mobile security External links:
McAfee Mobile Security – Official Site
Best Mobile Security Software Reviews – Consumer Reports
Find Your Lost or Stolen Android Device | AVG Mobile Security
Multi-factor authentication External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication™ | User Portal
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
National Information Assurance Glossary External links:
National Information Assurance Glossary – WOW.com
Network security External links:
Institute for Applied Network Security – Official Site
Penetration test External links:
Standard Penetration Test – Geotechdata.info
penetration test – Answers – Salesforce Success Community
Secure coding External links:
Secure Coding | The CERT Division
Security-focused operating system External links:
Security-focused operating system – iSnare Free Encyclopedia
Security by design External links:
Rubrik Cloud Data Management: Security by Design | Rubrik
Security By Design – Experience – Frank Hagel Federal Building
Security by Design – Detroit, MI – Inc.com
Trojan horse External links:
Trojan Horse clip from “Troy” – YouTube
The Trojan Horse – Restaurant & Tavern
Trojan horse | Greek mythology | Britannica.com
Vulnerability assessment External links:
System Vulnerability Assessment – USPS OIG